This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

ETD - Emergency Travel Document


ETD - Emergency Travel Document

What an Emergency Travel Document lets you do

An Emergency Travel Document (ETD) can be issued if your passport or Identity Card has been lost, stolen or damaged. Unlike your normal passport or Identity Card, which is valid for 10 years, it is only valid for 5 days from the date of issue and can only be used to travel to Italy or to another European country if you formally live there.

In most cases an Emergency Travel Document can be issued quickly and at short notice if you need to travel urgently, however, Consular staff may need to carry out checks before it is issued which could delay your travel plans.

PLEASE NOTE: We are unable to issue an Emergency Travel Document to newborns if their birth certificate has not been registered at the Consulate and forwarded on the town hall (Comune) of reference in Italy.

What documents do I need to apply for an ETD?

- If you are over 18 years of age, you must submit:

an Emergency Travel Document application form (ETD1) (pdf / doc) 2 recent and identical passport photographs, which must meet ICAO rules (see photograph guidelines).a form of identity (clearly showing your photograph and your signature)If you don’t have any way of providing a form of identity, you will need to ask someone who knows you well to countersign your photographs. Your countersignatory must come with you in person, fill in a countersignatory form (AFT1) and bring a form of identity.proof of your travel plans including booking confirmationsIf you are registered at the Italian Consulate in Karachi (A.I.R.E) and have children under the age of 18, you must ask the other parent to complete and sign a Parental Consent Form (pdf / doc). Don’t forget to provide a photocopy of their passport or Identity card (clearly showing their photograph and signature). If the other parent is not an EU citizen, he or she must complete and sign the Parental Consent Form in person.

To download an Emergency Travel Document application form for adults, please click here